Castile soap originated in the Mediterranean area, then it spread into Europe where it gets its name.
It was in the 12th century when Muslim soap-makers enters Italian and Spanish center cities. The Castile region of Spain produced the soap by combining authentic plant oils. The region is particularly rich in olive oils which is an important ingredient in making the soap.
Personal hygiene and public sanitation are very important for the Europeans during this time since the spreading of various and unknown diseases are prevalent. Thus, the creation of castile soap is very beneficial for people.
What is Castile Soap
The soap that you are usually using (either for your body, for your pets, or for cleaning purposes) is made of animal fats and artificial ingredients. Castile soap is unlikely these soaps. It is made of various ingredients that are non-toxic, natural, and plant-based. For instance, olive oil is a vital ingredient to produce the soap, especially in the old days. Nowadays, coconut oils, hemp oils, castor oils as well as almond oils, walnut oils, and avocado oils are used for the soap-making.
It can come in a variety of forms, such as bar and liquid, and can be used in a variety of purposes, such as for cleaning your own body, pets, or household.
Castile soap is safe and gentle but you have to dilute it properly. It has multiple properties including moisturizing, cleansing, and lathering. It is also environmental-friendly.
Lastly, castile soap has several uses. The list below is some of it. Note that some castile soaps are made with essential oil, while some are not. Thus, if you buy a plain one, adding an essential oil is in your option. However, be it known that diluting the soap is shortening the soap’s shelf life. Thus, use the solution you made within a month.
Uses for Body
The soap has several used for the body such as the following:
- Face wash – your face is the primary benefactor of using castile soap. It is mild for your skin but strong at the same time for bacteria-causing acne and other skin diseases. To use castile soap, simply rub a few drops to your face and rinse.
- Shampoo – because the soap is mild enough, using it on your hair is acceptable. Just mix a cup of water and a tablespoon of castile soap and use the mixture to your hair when taking a bath. As usual, rinse the solution from your hair.
- Body wash – directly apply a handful of castile soap on your entire body. To gently exfoliate your skin, you may either use a washcloth or a loofah.
- Hand soap – making your own hand soap is achievable using castile soap. Just fill your soap dispenser with 12 ounces of water and two tablespoons of castile soap. It is up to you if you want to add a half teaspoon of any essential oil or carrier oil.
- Foot bath – make yourself a foot bath for relaxation. In a small bucket of hot water, put two teaspoons of liquid castile soap. Afterward, add a few drops of essential oil. Soak your feet for 20 minutes and feel the tension leave your body.
- Deodorant – castile soap is also effective as a natural deodorant. You can make the solution by combining a teaspoon of sea salt and a half teaspoon of castile soap in a small spray bottle. Just spray the solution after taking a bath or whenever needed.
- Shaving agent – in substitute of shaving cream, you may use a castile soap, instead. Just lather a pure soap in your hands then apply it to the area that is needed to be shaved. For further skin moisturization, you may add a carrier oil to the soap.
- Cleaning wounds – for cleaning minor wounds, prepare two cups of filtered drinking water. Then add two teaspoons of castile soap. The solution is effective in healing wounds as well as lowering the level of infection compared with the combination of bacitracin, saline solution, and benzalkonium chloride, based on an animal study.
Castile soap is not just effective for body use. It is also effective for cleaning purposes such as follows:
- All-purpose household cleaner – for individuals who love to clean, an all-purpose cleaner is everything. Thus to make your own, combine a quart of water and two cups of castile soap in a cleaning spray.
- Laundry detergent – individuals who have sensitive hands may be happy with this idea. Just add half a cup of the soap in your laundry. If you are using a washing machine, you can use a less amount of soap.
- Dishwasher detergent – natural dishwasher detergent may be better for usual dishwasher detergent. Thus, this option is possible by combining equal amounts of water and castile soap in a bottle.
- Dish soap – for dish soap, try to follow these steps. In 10 parts water, just add one part of castile soap and that’s it.
- Window cleaner – your glass window will have a fresher look with this natural approach. Just add a tablespoon of castile soap in one quart of water. Use the solution in cleaning your glass windows as a replacement of your usual soap cleaner. Then, use soda water to rinse the solution. Dry using a newspaper.
Pets and Plant Use
If you love plants and animals, the soap is also effective in taking care of them. Some of the benefits of castile soap to them are listed below:
- Pet wash – pets can as much benefit with the soap. The amount of soap to be used will depend on the size of your pet as well as the amount of hair it has. But to use the soap, simply mix it with water and use it as your pet wash. Rinse with clean water.
Anti-bugs plant spray – bugs are perhaps the worst enemy of your plants. Thus, to get rid off of them, mix a tablespoon of soap in a quart of water and put it on a bottle spray.