Among the psychological problems that we have on planet earth anxiety and depression happen to be some of the most common. You would hear people say they’re either anxious or depressed. That’s common these days. There are different reasons why people go through depression and feel anxious all the time. But that’s not our focus for today. For today, we’ll just be concentrating on natural supplements for anxiety and depression. Well, anxiety and depression go hand in hand. So most supplements that work for anxiety would work for depression. There are quite a lot of natural supplements that can work for both. But will just be concentrating on five for today. Keep reading to find out these five.
Well, anxiety and depression have been found to occur at the same time in some people. According to statistics it’s been estimated that about 45% of people that have mental health conditions meet the criteria for more than 2 disorders. It has also been found out that people with either depression or anxiety have another condition. Well, either of these two conditions has its causes. In terms of symptoms and treatment, they are quite similar. Also, the ways of management and prognosis of both are quite similar. Let’s dive into this.
What are Anxiety and Depression?
Anxiety is the response of the body. It’s usually the response of the mind and the body to stress, unfamiliar or dangerous situations. It is also known as the state of uneasiness, distress before an important event. Well, everyone gets anxious from time to time. And this is a good thing. It helps you stay alert and awake. But when it becomes an anxiety disorder it’s not normal. And this isn’t good for a person’s health.
When a person has an anxiety disorder the person wouldn’t be able to sleep or concentrate. Also talking to people would be very difficult. It could get as worse as a person leaving his/her home. Many people that have anxiety disorder always feel that they don’t have control over their emotions. And many times it would involve symptoms that affect some physical parts of the body.
So you can say that someone has an anxiety disorder when the person feels anxious almost every time. And when it also affects the daily living of a person.
Depression, on the other hand, is also a serious medical condition. It has negative effects on how a person feels and the way the person acts or thinks. The good thing though is that this can be treated. It comes with a feeling of sadness. Also, people that are depressed have no interest in activities that they loved doing before.
Usually, depression would also lead to a problem with the emotions and also the physical body. also, it tends to affect the daily living of a person. And this can have a negative effect on how the person functions at home and work.
Depression can vary from mild to severe. And depending on the severity of the symptoms would differ slightly.
Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
These are some of the physical symptoms that come with an anxiety disorder.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Feeling fatigued
- Racing heart
- Muscle tension
- Grinding teeth
- Sleeping problems
Some of the symptoms are emotional. Some of the emotional symptoms are:
- Problem controlling fear and worry
These are some of the physical symptoms that come with depression:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Decreased energy
- Cramps, aches, and pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Problem recalling
- Difficulty making decisions
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Problem sleeping and waking up
- Changes in appetite
These are some of the emotional problems that come with depression:
- The feeling of sadness and emptiness
- Loss of interest in activities and hobbies
- Pessimistic and feeling hopeless
- Feeling of guilt
- Restlessness or irritability
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Suicide attempts
- Thoughts of death
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above then you have to seek medical help or talk to someone. If you know someone showing any of these symptoms try moving closer to the person. And try to find out if the person is depressed or has an anxiety disorder. This would go a long way in helping the person.
Top 5 Natural Supplements for Anxiety and Depression
- Vitamin D: This is a vitamin that plays a vital role in the regulation of mood. It is also very important for brain and nerve health. According to research, there’s a link between the levels of vitamin D and depression. And some claims consuming this vitamin can help treat the condition. Also, research shows that low levels of this vitamin can be linked to anxiety disorders.
- Vitamin B complex: 8 different nutrients make up B vitamins. And all of them work together to help manage the different processes that take place in the body. And this includes controlling the stress level in the body. A study that was carried out showed that people that had low levels of vitamin B-12 had either anxiety or depression.
- Magnesium: This is a very important mineral in the body. It’s very important for the functioning of the body. Especially for the functioning of different systems in the body. Studies show that taking magnesium supplements have helped some people improve symptoms that come with anxiety and depression.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: This is known to occur in foods such as salmon and f. They are very important for brain health. The body can’t actually make this fat. So they must be gotten from foods. According to a study, people with anxiety that took omega-3 supplements had improved symptoms. Also, another study showed that people with low levels of omega-3 fatty acids are at increased risk of having either depression and anxiety.
- L-theanine: This is an amino acid that is found in green tea and black tea. And there is evidence that suggests that it might have anti-anxiety properties. A study that was done showed that it might help reduce cortisol levels in the body. And cortisol is the natural stress hormone produced in the body. So a reduction in the hormone would indicate that the stress level is also decreased.
You can be sure that you would see changes if you opt for these natural supplements for anxiety and depression.