Stomach flu never means anything good because once you contract this condition, it will hit you really hard. While any disease means bad news, stomach flu can be really horrible.
It is unbelievable how something so simple can make you miserable and can get you bedridden. Yes, there are many diseases that are worse than this. But, anyone who has encountered this knows how it can make an individual feel powerless and restless for a few days.
Just something to imagine: Feeling crummy, unable to eat anything at all, but you need to get up tons of times for your frequent trips to the bathroom.
Get the picture?
The good news is that there are ways to speed up your recovery from the disease. A lot of stomach flu remedies are available, be it natural or synthetic.
But first, you must know what are the possible causes of your condition.
Causes of Stomach Flu
Gastroenteritis is the medical term used for the condition and it is caused by contaminated water and food. What not many people know is that it can also be developed through contaminated utensils and towels. A lot of viruses can cause it, but the two most common are:
- Noroviruses: which can affect both kids and adults. This is possibly the number one cause of plenty of food-related diseases. This disease can affect massive amounts of people in one go. It can spread easily through small areas and enclosed spaces. Normally, you encounter this virus through food and water, but it can be passed on from one person to another.
- Rotavirus: is one of the major reason why young kids develop gastroenteritis. As you know, kids are very much experimental. They like to use their senses to understand things. More often than not, they will touch objects that amat contain the virus. When they placed their hands inside their mouths, they are guaranteed to experience the disease. The severity gets worse the younger the kid is. In adults who have the virus, there are many occasions that no symptoms show. However, they are still highly contagious and can spread the disease like wildfire. There are available vaccines against this viral disease.
Foods such as undercooked or uncooked oysters can cause the gastroenteritis.
How does stomach flu manifest?
First, you experience bouts of nausea, chills, and fever. After some time, you will start vomiting or having frequent trips to the toilet to either poop or pee. Then, come the aches and pains.
The bad news: This does not have any treatment. You have to let stomach flu go through its own path until it is completely out of the way.
But you do not have to lose hope, there are stomach flu remedies that can help alleviate your woes.
Stomach Flu Remedies
Fight off your stomach flu with these effective remedies:
1. Drink tons of fluids
You have to keep yourself hydrated because of the amount of fluids you are excreting in the form of diarrhea, vomit, and sweat. There is a high chance that you may have a problem keeping your fluid intake. To do that, you must take tiny sips regularly. Another solution you can do is to chew ice chips. You must drink only the following:
- Clear liquids like broth and water
- Pedialyte or other similar electrolyte sources.
- Sports drink like Gatorade. This is only suitable for adults or older kids.
- Teas like ginger or peppermint can also lessen the stomach issues and nausea.
You should avoid drinks that contain caffeine like chocolate or coffee. And even though it is pretty doubtable that you will want to grab a glass of wine, avoid alcohol a few days even after you are fully recovered.
2. Eat bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast to counter the symptoms
Honestly, it can be pretty hard to tame down the tummy. However, when you feel like you are able to eat, you should choose simple foods. The BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) can help you in a lot of ways.
- The bananas contain high levels of potassium which can easily replenish the ones you lost.
- White rice is processed easily. You can also do well with the carbs you will get. The fiber from other types of rice may be too much and cause someone with stomach flu to become bloated (if he or she are not already).
- Applesauce can boost the energy due to the pectin, sugar, and carbohydrates it contains.
- Choose simple toast instead if whole wheat ones because, like rice, it gets digested faster.
Refrain from grabbing spicy, fibrous, or greasy foods. Even those that contain dairy are major no-nos.
3. Try acupressure to alleviate nausea
One study suggests that looking for the proper pressure point (called the P-6) can help a lot. Measure the width of three fingers counting from down to the lowest point of your palm. Press onto that until you feel a tender and sensitive spot in between the two tendons. Massage that area using your thumb for a good three minutes.
4. Natural remedies
Natural remedies like cinnamon and turmeric are spices that are reported to relieve gastroenteritis. Apple cider vinegar is considered a cure-all agent for plenty of diseases, especially those related to the gastrointestinal system. Thankfully, it also has shown a positive effect on easing nausea.
These four stomach flu remedies are not going to eradicate the main problem, but they can sure speed up your healing. Just be sure to follow them and after a few days, you will be ready and healthy once again.
Then again, prevention is better than cure. Get vaccinated against rotavirus, keep your hands clean, and disinfected surfaces to avoid encountering it. If you do a good job doing so, you would not need stomach flu remedies, anyway.