One common health condition that many people are faced with is infections. Infections are quite common. And that’s not a surprise since there are millions of microbes around us. Some of these microns are not harmful but some are harmful. When the harmful ones get into the body it leads to an infection. One of the infectious diseases we have around is the jock itch. In medical terms, it’s known as tinea cruris. Anto is a fungal infection that affects the skin. Well, this infection belongs to a bigger class of infections known as tinea infections. Many people have no idea what this condition is all about. That’s why we’ll be looking at what does jock itch look like and many others.
Usually, this infection appears as an itchy rash. For many people, this infection is quite annoying and also very uncomfortable. It is actually commonly found among people that sweat a lot. Just like athletes. This infection can be found in places like the buttock, genital as well as thigh region. One good thing though about this infection is that it’s not so serious. It can be prevented easily. And at the same time treating it is quite easy. That’s why we will be taking a look at some home remedies that can be used in treating this condition.
What Does Jock Itch Look Like?
The thing with this infection is that it would start as a flat itchy rash. And the rash would usually appear red. The site of the first appearance is at the inner thighs.
Thereafter, it begins to spread. And the pattern of spreading of this infection is ring-like when the rash starts to spread, the starting point which is now the center begins to get a lot better.
So as the infection spreads it begins to spread to places like the buttocks, groin, and thigh. And it also spares the scrotum.
Well, many other signs come with this condition. And they are:
- Burning sensation
- Flaking or cracking skin
- Persistent itching
- Change in color of the skin
- Rash that gets worse with activity or exercise
- Rash that worsens with over-counter anti-itching cream
So the cause of this condition is a group of fungi known as dermatophytes. They are present naturally on the skin and don’t cause any form of harm. But when to wear a cloth soaked in sweat for a long time the fungi would increase in number. And that’s as a result of its exposure to moisture.
The fungus that is responsible for this condition is very contagious. So if there is close personal contact with a person that has this disease, you could also be infected. Even if the contact is with the unwashed clothes of someone that has jock itch.
The term used for this condition might be indicative that it’s an infection for athletes. Well, this is true but not entirely true. And that’s because this condition can affect just about anyone.
People that are overweight are at high risk of having this disease. And the reason for that is because these fungi tend to grow in folds of skin. That’s because that place is prone to sweating.
One way you can prevent this infection is to wash your armpits and groin with water and soap. Also, this condition can be triggered with a long exposure of the skin to moisture and friction.
Certain factors can help increase the risk of having jock itch. And the factors are:
- Gender: Women are less likely to develop this condition compared to men
- Age: Teenagers have a higher risk of having this infection
- Weight: People that are overweight tend to have this condition
- Wearing tight clothing: When you wear tight fabrics it traps moisture and this increases the chances of the fungi growing
- Sweating profusely: When a person sweats a whole lot, it’s easier for the fungus to thrive on that skin
- Weak immune system: Also, people that have a weak immune system are more likely to develop this condition
- Diabetes: Diabetic patients are prone to having skin infections like jock itch
So different home remedies can help overcome jock itch. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Apple cider vinegar: This has antifungal properties. And with this, it can get rid of this infection easily. All you have to do is mix about half a cup with water. And then warm the mixture. After dip cotton in the mixture and then rub on the affected area. Do this for about 5-10mins. And repeat the procedure like 2-3 times a day.
- Baking soda: This is a substance that’s available all around the world. It is great for drying the skin and also healing the skin. It also does a great job of balancing the pH level in the body. All you have to do is mix 1-2 tablespoons of the substance in water. Then apply the mixture on the affected surface for about 15 minutes. After that wash the area with water and then wipe it dry. This can be done 2-3 times a day for great results.
- Aloe vera: The juice of aloe vera is known to have antiseptic properties. And this is also known to affect the acidity level. Once aloe vera is applied you can be sure of relief as to the itching and the burning sensation. The juice should be gotten from the aloe vera leaf. And make sure that you clean the affected area before applying the juice.
- Garlic and honey: The combination of these two is great for dealing with jock itch. Garlic has antifungal properties. And when it’s mixed with honey it gives a soothing feeling. For this, you have to mix 1-2 medium-sized cloves of garlic with a tablespoon of honey. Apply it on the affected area for about 15-20 mins. After that make sure you rinse the surface and keep it dry.
- Coconut oil: One way that you can contain the rash is with coconut oil. What this coconut oil does is to reduce the moisture. Make sure you use pure organic coconut oil for this. When doing this make sure you apply it overnight so that it would have a greater effect.
Well, with these home remedies you would be able to get rid of jock itch. And dealing with it wouldn’t be a problem since you have an idea of what does jock itch looks like.